Tuesday, September 23, 2008

iPhone Group --> 9/23/08

Today is the last day of my group observation. I have seen a lot of similar characteristics in most of the threads that I have followed. A lot of the threads people ask for help and many people with more experience give them advice. Many users that help others out are people that come on the site every day. Some of these people are Bill (boulware0224), Victor (vic_healey), and Brian (roqabilly). These members seem to be in many threads and are always posting new things. They are very helpful people and tend to voice their opinions in a respectful manner when they do. I noticed that even though you may be able to help many people from your experiences, sometimes you run in to problems that seem helpless.

After reading a couple of threads I realized that Brian (roqabilly) ran in to a problem. Unsurprisingly Bill (boulware0224) was one of the people lending a hand. Brian lost a lot of his iTunes information today when he was attempting to send music to his iPhone. Let’s keep in mind that when adding music to your iPhone it is as simple as connecting a wire to the phone, selecting music from iTunes to transfer, and then waiting for the music to sync over. Of course when Brian tried to do this somehow his iPhone wiped out a bunch of his music in iTunes. Bill gave instructions to Brian on how to recover his music as well as the album artwork that Brian was also concerned about.

I think Yahoo! groups are very helpful solutions to everyday problems. Of course there is customer support that people can call if they have a serious problem. Being able to come on a group and letting your problem be known and having confidence that people will answer is comforting. I have learned a couple neat things reading the last couple of day’s worth of threads as well. This group overall is very knowledgeable and definitely an asset to iPhone users. An interesting observation that I came across is the moderator involvement.

There are a couple moderators for this group but over the last couple of day I have not seen one post from them. This is a good thing in my opinion for the sake of the group. I am also part of another phone forum and at least once a day a moderator will take action against someone’s post. Moderators are leaders that take control and keep the group community at ease. I do not think that this is a particular group that would need a lot of moderator involvement. After five days of observation I would give this group a five star rating as far as content and community respect.

No comments: